14 March 2013

Make Your Own Clif Bars!

how to make your own clif bars, how to make protein bars, recipes for protein powder, adding protein to your diet, healthy protein recipes for women, make cliff bars
Making your own protein bars similar in taste to peanut butter Clif Bars!

My husband keeps 100 lbs of protein powder in the house at all times so I felt silly buying Clif bars. Couldn't I just make my own? Yes, I could. I looked up some recipes but I didn't like them much. I learned the basics then came up with my own - and that is what I have for you today!

You'll need protein powder, of course. We use Gold Standard and find that Amazon has the best bang for your buck. If you have Amazon Prime it will even be dropped off at your door two days later. However, it's available in health food and nutrition stores everywhere for that instant gratification.

The rest of the ingredients you probably have on hand, so here it is......

Recipe for Protein Bars


  • 4 scoops protein powder (we're using vanilla ice cream-flavor currently)
  • 1/3 cup wheat germ
  • up to 1/4 cup of flax meal - I used less here because I find the flavor over-powering
  • some honey will give it a gooey consistency - and I add some chocolate syrup sometimes
  • 3 spoonfuls of peanut butter
  • 1/4 c water - more or less depending on the consistency you're after
  • smash it all together - I add the water a little as I go
  • optional: dried fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, cocoa powder, sweetener, pumpkin pie spice/cinnamon/etc
  • (I skip the sweetener because our pb has sugar in it)


You can mold this into cute shapes using an ice tray which is good for portion control - or you can divide it into four balls and smoosh it in a baggie for a "clif" portion.

*Keep finished product in refrigerator.

Our favorite way to eat it is in crumbles over Greek yogurt which is why I cram it into a Tupperware like that. I tried to get pictures but I don't have a flashy lightbox so we're dealing with my iPhone (per usual!).

Hopefully this will be enough to get you on the path to DIY your own protein bars and you can expand on the recipe, too!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment - I'll totally w/b/s! If you want to read my response (which of course you will!) please click that little "subscribe by email" link you'll see next to the publish button. Blogger does not send reply-alerts unless you complete that step. xx